An unfortunate car accident can leave you in an overwhelmed state, where you may have to deal with impending medical bills, loss of wages, and other losses. If the accident was a result of someone’s negligence, you can file a personal injury lawsuit and ask for compensation from the party at fault. Working with a reliable and known Grand Junction auto accident lawyer can be really handy in such circumstances. For your help, here is a list of dos and don’ts after a car accident.
- Get medical help. The first step is to call for medical attention, so that anyone in need gets the assistance they need. Make sure that you are feeling better.
- In Colorado, you must report a car accident, if there was injury, property damage, and/or death involved. Don’t let the other driver talk you out of this – You have to contact the police and file a report.
- Take details. If you are feeling okay, note down all the details of drivers, cars, pedestrians and witnesses involved. The information can be handy for filing your personal injury lawsuit.
- Call a personal injury attorney. Like we mentioned earlier, you have to consider hiring a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. An experienced accident lawyer will ensure that you don’t settle for anything less than what you deserve in compensation.
- Avoid getting a checkup done. Even if it seems that your injuries are not that severe, you have to check with a doctor. In many cases, the immediate effects of the accident may not be apparent right away.
- Signing any document. Make sure that you don’t sign any document that is shared by the claims adjuster or anyone else involved. If you are confused, you have the right to refuse signing a paper.
Benefits of hiring an auto accident lawyer
You need an auto accident lawyer for two reasons. Firstly, they can take over and handle things on your behalf. In Colorado, the at-fault party’s car insurer will pay the compensation, if the liability is established. Before you can file a personal injury lawsuit, the insurance claim must be filed within a limited and reasonable time. Secondly, your lawyer can ensure that you are not blamed for the accident unnecessarily. If you have a role in the accident, your attorney will fight for you anyway.
Check on Google to find best-rated auto accident lawyers in GJ, Colorado.